Handprint and footprints make for adorable crafts with young children. Kids love playing with the paint. Parents love the adorable keepsake that captures a little piece of time. My daughter and I are no exception. I have even started a keepsake book of the handprint and footprint crafts that she and I create together. For our fall craft, I helped her create a fun apple tree using handprints, footprints, and thumbprints and some brown, green, and red acrylic paint.
- Brown, green, and red nontoxic paint
- Blank paper
- Paper plate or scrap cardboard
- Cotton balls
- Pour some brown paint onto the cardboard.
- Use a cotton ball to create a thin layer of brown paint on the bottom of your child’s foot.
- Press the footprint onto the paper with the toes pointing down.
- Wash the paint off your child’s foot.
- Pour some green paint on to the cardboard.
- Use a cotton ball to create a thin layer of green paint on your child’s palm.
- Press the handprint onto the paper with the fingers pointing up and the bottom of the palm touching the heel of the footprint.
- Wash the paint off your child’s hand.
- Pour some red paint onto the cardboard.
- Use a cotton ball to create a thin layer of red paint on your child’s thumb.
- Press the thumbprint onto the green handprint and around the bottom of the brown footprint to create apples. Reapply the red paint as needed.
- Wash the paint off your child’s thumb.
My daughter and I love making handprint crafts together. She enjoys playing with the paint and then washing her hands. I love the little keepsake that captures the size of her prints in a festival craft. For fall, try making an autumn apple tree handprint-footprint craft with your young child. Happy autumn!
Green, Brown, and Red Paint with Paper and Cotton Balls © 2013 Heather Johnson
Making a Brown Footprint © 2013 Heather Johnson
Brown Footprints on White Paper © 2013 Heather Johnson
Green Handprints Above Brown Footprints © 2013 Heather Johnson
Making Red Thumbprints © 2013 Heather Johnson
Red Thumbprints on the Green Handprints and Brown Footprints © 2013 Heather Johnson
Autumn Apple Tree Handprint-Footprint Craft © 2013 Heather Johnson