Baking Christmas cookies with my family is a favorite tradition during the holiday season. In addition to sugar cookies, I always bake peanut butter Kiss cookies each year. A peanut butter cookie rolled in sugar and topped with a chocolate Kiss just says Christmas to me. To make my peanut butter Kiss cookies even more festive, I even roll the uncooked dough in red and green colored sugar. For the fourth day of the 25 Days of Christmas, here is the recipe that I use to bake peanut butter Kiss cookies.
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup plus extra of white sugar
- 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- red and green colored sugar
- 48 chocolate Kisses
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Unwrap the chocolate Kisses.
- Combine the shortening and peanut butter in a large bowl with a mixer.
- Add the 1/3 cup of white sugar and the brown sugar to the peanut butter mixture.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla to the peanut butter mixture.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the extra sugar and colored sugar.
- Place the sugared cookie dough balls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven.
- Immediately press a chocolate Kiss into the centers of the baked cookies.
- Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
What yummy Christmas goodies are you baking this holiday season?
Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies © 2011 Heather Johnson