As I have previously mentioned, I love pumpkin. Luckily for me, pumpkin makes a great addition to many healthy Thanksgiving recipes including pumpkin bread. However, as I have also previously mentioned, I do not usually have a lot of time to devote to cooking a big Thanksgiving meal. Because I usually work during the three days approaching the holiday, I try to stick to healthy Thanksgiving recipes that are quick and easy and that can be prepared ahead of time. So, when it comes to my holiday meal planning, I have a simple and delicious but healthy pumpkin bread recipe that I make in my bread machine.
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup of raisins
- Mix together the fresh pumpkin puree, packed brown sugar, olive oil, vanilla extract, and eggs with a silicon spatula in the bottom of a bread machine pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves to the wet mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to bread machine pan. Mix thoroughly.
- Fold the raisins into the spiced pumpkin bread batter.
- Place the bread machine pan in the bread machine.
- Select the quick bread cycle. Set the bread machine to light crust and 1.5 pound loaf.
- Allow bread to cool slightly and then remove from the bread machine pan.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before slicing.
- Store any uneaten spiced pumpkin bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
When it comes to healthy Thanksgiving recipes, my bread machine pumpkin bread recipe tastes good and is good for you, too. The whole wheat flour adds a little extra fiber to the bread without changing the flavor or texture. The healthy olive oil also packs an additional nutritional punch. Most importantly, however, is that this pumpkin bread is easy to make and downright tasty. I like to serve the bread as a snack before dinner and with dessert as well. So, to all the cooks out there looking for healthy Thanksgiving recipes during holiday meal planning time, I highly suggest my bread machine pumpkin bread.
Bread Machine Spiced Pumpkin Bread Recipe © 2012 Heather Johnson
Spiced Pumpkin Bread © 2012 Heather Johnson
Pumpkin Puree © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Brown Sugar © 2012 Heather Johnson
Mixing in the Egg © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Flour © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Spices © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Raisins © 2012 Heather Johnson
Baked Spiced Pumpkin Bread © 2012 Heather Johnson