My son loves bread! If I let him, he would eat an entire loaf in one day. I recently got my bread machine out again so that I could make him fresh bread at home. To make his bread healthier, I use whole wheat flour whenever possible. Just the other day, I modified my original sweet bread recipe to use whole wheat flour instead of white. The result is a lightly sweet soft bread with a crispy crust that he and I both loved!
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 4 tablespoons of white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Cut the butter into small pieces.
- Pour the eggs, egg yolk, butter, and water in the bottom of the bread machine pan.
- Add the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt.
- Use a spoon to form a divot in the dry ingredients.
- Pour the yeast into the divot.
- Place the bread machine pan in the bread machine.
- Select the basic/white bread cycle. Set the bread machine to 2 pound loaf and desired crust color.
- Allow bread to cool slightly and then remove from the bread machine pan.
- Allow to cool thoroughly before slicing.
- Store any uneaten sweet bread in an airtight container.
Bread Machine Sweet Bread Recipe © 2017 Heather Johnson
Wet Ingredients for Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Dry Ingredients for Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Adding the Yeast to the Dry Ingredients for the Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Mixing the Dough for the Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Baking the Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Baked Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Finished Loaf of Bread Machine Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson
Slicing the Bread Machine Sweet Bread © 2017 Heather Johnson