I suffer from terribly dry and irritated skin during the colder months of the year. As soon as I hop out of the shower, I have to slather on lotion to keep my skin from feeling painfully dried out. In addition to lotion, I also love using moisturizing body scrubs in the shower, which helps me not need to use quite as much lotion. After receiving a Simply Earth Essential Oil Box last fall, I started experimenting with my own skin care recipes. I first made some super moisturizing body butter and lip balm with the help of my daughter. My daughter and I had a blast mixing up our favorite scents together!
My recipe for DIY body butter and lip balm is quite simple. I used 1/4 cup of beeswax, 1/2 cup of shea butter, and 1/4 cup of coconut oil. Depending on your desired scent, you can add as many or few drops of essential oils as you want. To make my own moisturizing sugar scrub, I used a similar recipe. In addition to the beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil, I also added some cocoa butter and, of course, cane sugar.
- 2 tablespoons of beeswax
- 1/4 cup of shea butter
- 1/4 cup of cocoa butter
- 2/3 cup of coconut oil
- 2/3 cup of cane sugar
- essential oil
- Combine the beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, and coconut oil in a microwave-safe glass container.
- Heat the ingredients in the microwave for 30-second intervals until melted.
- Carefully remove the melted mixture from the microwave.
- Add essential oil to desired scent.
- Stir the mixture gently for approximately one minute.
- Stir in the cane sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a container.
- Carefully place the container in the refrigerator.
- Allow the moisturizing sugar scrub to solidify. Stir occasionally to prevent the sugar from settling to the bottom.
- Enjoy your homemade moisturizing sugar scrub!
Have you ever made your own moisturizing sugar scrub?
Easy DIY Moisturizing Sugar Scrub Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Ingredients for Easy DIY Moisturizing Sugar Scrub Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Measured Ingredients for Easy DIY Moisturizing Sugar Scrub Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Melted Ingredients for Easy DIY Moisturizing Sugar Scrub Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Finished Easy DIY Moisturizing Sugar Scrub Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson