Eating Healthy Might Kill Me: Developing an Allergy to Portabella Mushrooms


Heather in the Emergency Room for Her New Mushroom AllergySpending the evening in the emergency room for a new food allergy definitely does not fit my definition of a fun Friday night. Unfortunately, my family and I ended up spending last Friday evening in our local ER because of a bad reaction that I experienced after eating a portabella mushroom.

Prior to Friday evening, I already had a long list of food allergies. My first allergy developed when I was seven years old. After eating a raw banana, my lips swelled and started tingling, at which time I discovered that I was allergic to raw bananas. (I could still eat cooked bananas because the protein to which I am allergic changes during the cooking process.) I also developed allergies to tree nuts (but not peanuts), melons, kiwi, raw carrots and celery, mango, papaya, and raw cherries.

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I discovered that I was not longer allergic to watermelon or raw banana. After her birth, I also discovered that I could eat raw carrots, almonds, and hazelnuts. Unfortunately, within the past couple of weeks, my watermelon and raw carrot allergies have returned.

Even more unfortunately, I also seem to have developed an allergy to portabella mushrooms. After eating my dinner, which consisted of a portabella mushroom, on Friday night, I suddenly doubled over which stomach pain. I managed to get to my bathroom and lay on the floor. My husband brought me a throw up bucket, and I proceeded to vomit up my dinner.

Worried about my sudden and severe symptoms, my husband called my parents, who rushed over to our house. My husband thought that I had appendicitis. I was worried that I had been poisoned by the ice cream bar that I had eaten from the neighborhood ice cream truck. I was also worried that my daughter was going to get sick because she had eaten a bite of my ice cream.

My dad immediately decided that I needed to get to the emergency room. He helped me outside where I threw up almost all of the rest of my dinner. As he raced me to the hospital, I threw up again. After the last round of vomiting, I started feeling a little better.

Once at the emergency room, I received an IV of saline as well as an anti-nausea medication, an antihistamine, and Pepcid. Because my daughter was absolutely fine, I started to suspect that I might have been having an allergic reaction. Of all the room that I ate that evening, the only different ingredient was the portabella mushroom. Mushroom allergies are rare but not unheard-of. With my long list of weird food allergies, a new mushroom allergy would be just my luck.

When my blood test came back, the doctor informed me that an elevated marker in my blood indicated that I had experienced an allergic reaction. To what exactly I am allergic is technically unknown, but, because the only unusual food that I ate that day was the portabella mushroom, my new food allergy is almost certainly to portabella mushrooms.

In addition to my other allergy triggers, I now plan to avoid portabella mushrooms. I must also be careful with other varieties of mushrooms in case my allergy broadens. As I jokingly said to my family, eating healthy might actually kill me. Maybe I should just stick to overly processed foods instead. McDonald’s diet, here I come.

Have you or a loved on ever experienced an allergic reaction to a food? How did you deal?

Image Credits

Heather in the Emergency Room for Her New Mushroom Allergy © 2013 Heather Johnson



Subscribe to The Parenting Patch Newsletter
JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Join over 3.000 visitors who are receiving our newsletter and learn how to optimize your blog for search engines, find free traffic, and monetize your website.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.




Leave A Comment For Our Community

comments