I love pumpkin! The bright orange fruit always makes me think of fall and the holiday season. So, in addition to pumpkin bread, pumpkin pasties, and pumpkin pudding during the holidays, I also love making pumpkin pie as one of my Thanksgiving dinner desserts. My favorite recipe for making pumpkin pie is a variation on the classic Betty Crocker recipe. Mine differs in the number and amount of spices that I add to the filling and to the crust.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 1/4 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups of evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup of white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Mix until the crust particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in the water until all of the crust mixture is moistened and cleans the side of bowl.
- Gather the crust pastry into a ball.
- Flatten the crust pastry in the bottom of an ungreased 8-inch glass pie pan.
- Mold the pie crust around the edge of the pie pan.
- Place all of the ingredients in an electric blender.
- Puree the filling ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Place the pie crust on the middle oven rack.
- Pour the pie filling into the crust.
- Bake uncovered for fifteen minutes
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
- Bake for another thirty-five to forty minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the pie comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
- Serve cool with whipped cream
- Refrigerate any used pumpkin pie.
Making pumpkin pie is easy with my recipe. I also love including pumpkin pie as one of my Thanksgiving dinner desserts because I can make the pie a day or two ahead of time, which is a plus for someone who must work during the days leading up to the holiday. (Most years I end up making pumpkin pie on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.) So, for all the other cooks out there who love pumpkin as much as I do, I highly suggest my flavorful pumpkin pie recipe.
Gourmet Pumpkin Pie: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/616673Post may include affiliate links.