- 2 sweet potato squashes
- 1 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can of potatoes
- 3 tablespoons of minced onion
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of all spice
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash the sweet potato squashes.
- Cut the sweet potato squashes in half.
- Remove the seeds and innards from the squashes.
- Place the squashes cut side down on an oiled baking sheet.
- Bake the squashes for 40 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the chicken broth and potatoes in a saucepan.
- Add the minced onion to the saucepan.
- Remove the meat of the squash from the rind.
- Add the squash to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until boiling.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the soup mixture in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the skim milk and spices to the blender. Continue blending.
- Returned the blended mixture to the saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until bubbly.
- Serve hot.
- Refrigerate any uneaten portion of sweet potato squash soup.
Sweet Potato Squash Soup © 2012 Heather Johnson