Do you love sugar cookies? Do you love pumpkin pie filling? I know I do, which is the reason that I love including pumpkin pasties as part of my Thanksgiving Day food. Pumpkin pasties, which are very much inspired by Harry Potter, are basically miniature pumpkin pies with sugar cookie crusts. Although making the pasties is a little bit time consuming, the delicious results are well worth the effort. So, when I sit down to figure out my holiday meal planning, I often include these pumpkin pasties with my Thanksgiving Day food.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cloves
- 2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 12 ounces of evaporated milk
- Powdered sugar
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Beat the sugar and butter together with an electric mixer.
- Mix in the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and egg.
- Blend the flour and baking soda together in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.
- Cover the crust dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Place all of the ingredients in an electric blender.
- Puree the filling ingredients until thoroughly mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grease muffin tins lightly with shortening.
- Press small balls of the crust dough into the muffin tins to form miniature pie crusts.
- Fill the sugar cookie crusts with the filling.
- Bake the pumpkin pasties for twenty to twenty-five minutes or until the filling is thoroughly cooked.
- Immediately remove the cooked pumpkin pasties from the muffin tin and allow to cool.
- Garnish the cooled pumpkin pasties with powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Refrigerate any uneaten pasties immediately.
Pumpkin pasties inspired by Harry Potter are a must-have Thanksgiving Day food in my house. So, when holiday meal planning time arrives, I often include these delicious little bite-sized pumpkin pies with sugar cookie crusts. Yes, pressing the little tiny crusts into muffin tins does take a bit of time and patience on the part of the cook, but the delicious little pumpkin pasties that result from my effort are well worth the time. Enjoy!
Pouring Pumpkin Pie Filling: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/display/778931