Three for Thursday is a meme courtesy of Evelyn at Hanging by a Silver Lining! Due to her having too much on her plate this week, I have volunteered to post the Three for Thursday questions for today. Because I am sitting in the library watching the students prepare for finals and their subsequent exodus from campus for the holiday break, my prompts focus on education and Christmas.
Three of your favorite classes from school (grade school or higher education):
- Traditional and Non-Traditional Grammars: Although I had always loved language, taking this class started me on the path to my master’s degree in English studies with a concentration in linguistics.
- The Linguistic Structure of English for TESOL Professionals: I love grammar. This class was an in-depth look at the grammar of the English language.
- Introduction to Descriptive Linguistics: Love me a class about learning about languages!
Three of your favorite books and why:
- The Little House series: I first read Little House in the Big Woods in second grade. I then read the entire series over and over again until junior high. I just loved reading about Laura and her life on the prairie.
- The Harry Potter series: I have read this series again and again as well. I love the magic and wonder of the world of Harry Potter. I plan on reading these books to my children from infancy onward.
- The His Dark Materials series: The three books in this series blow my mind on so many levels: literary, religious, philosophical, scientific.
Three of your favorite memories from your schooldays:
- Some of my happiest memories are from my high school days in marching band. I loved playing the cymbals and the bass drum in the drum line. I might have been tiny, but I could outmarch all those boys!
- I will admit that I have a mean streak. One of my favorite memories was not taking the prom seriously. All the popular girls were angry and a little crushed. I still maintain that prom is not that great.
- Playing the head mouse in Cinderella during my freshman year of high school. I was an adorable mouse and got to help all the young children on the stage.
Three of your least favorite memories from your schooldays:
- Falling off the big slide in the day before picture day in kindergarten. When you look at the biggest copy of my picture that year, you can see the scab under my big lip from where I smashed face first into the gravel.
- Kicking the wall while playing indoor soccer during PE. I jammed my toe horribly and limped for a week. Ouch!
- Breaking my ankle in seventh grade while roller blading. I was in a cast for two months and had to hobble around on crutches. I earned the nickname Gimp during this period of my life.
Three things you still plan on doing this holiday season:
- Going to the Festival of Lights in a nearby city. I love looking at all the floats made out of Christmas lights.
- Baking massive quantities of holiday cookies. I am planning on making peanut butter Kiss cookies this weekend.
- Giving birth to Poppy! Enough said.