Objective: To learn about Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Day by Dorothy Goeller
- The Story of Thanksgiving by Nancy J. Skarmeas
- Pete the Cat: The First Thanksgiving by Kimberly and James Dean
- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving by Charles M. Schulz
- Thanksgiving Is… by Gail Gibbons
- Pinkalicious: Thanksgiving Helper by Victoria Kann
- Happy Thanksgiving Day by Jill Roman Lord
- Gobble Gobble Tucker by Leslie McGuirk
Music: “Over the River and Through the Woods” (EFF 186)
Over the river and through the woods
To grandmother’s house we go
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
Through the white and drifted snow
Over the river and through the woods,
Oh, how the wind does blow
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go
Fine Motor Skills: Thanksgiving coloring pages (http://coloringkids.org/wp-content/uploads/thanksgiving-coloring-pages-3.gif and http://happydiwalismswishpics.in/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Printable-Thanksgiving-Coloring-Pages.png)
Gross Motor Skills: Gourd Sorting
Provide a basket of various small gourds and pumpkins. Allow your child the sort the gourds by color, shape, size, and other attributes.
Craft/Activity: Thanksgiving Plates (Color and shape review)
- Paper plates
- Brown and orange felt
- Cotton balls
- Green, red, and yellow beads
- Cut the brown felt into ovals and the orange felt into triangles and circles.
- Place the brown felt ovals, orange felt triangles, cotton balls, green pony beads, red pony beads, and yellow pony beads in individual bowls. Note: The brown felt ovals represent turkey, the cotton balls represent mashed potatoes, the green pony beads represent green beans, the yellow pony beads represent corn, the orange felt triangles represent pumpkin pie, the orange circles represent sweet potatoes, and the red pony beads represent cranberries.
- Glue the materials onto the paper plates to create a Thanksgiving meal.
Optional: Include other materials for other regional Thanksgiving foods such as yellow felt squares for cornbread or black beads for beans.
Preschool Homeschool Curriculum: Thanksgiving Lesson Plan © 2014 Heather Johnson
Thanksgiving Plate © 2014 Heather Johnson