All posts tagged "grapheme"
- Zero Phones and Markers: Not All Letters Spell Sounds
Writing is not sounds written down. The primary function of English spelling is to represent meaning. Sounds do matter, but not...InformationApril 25, 2021
- Why Are <talk>, <walk>, and <stalk> Spelled with <l>?
Yesterday I introduced my 5-year-old to the words <talk> and <walk>. He knows that graphemes can spell sounds, specifically that <l>...InformationFebruary 3, 2020
- Why Is <broad> Spelled with the <oa> Digraph?
Yesterday I posted on my social media about the spelling of the word <broad>. I just introduced the <oa> grapheme to...InformationJanuary 23, 2020
- <*tion> Is Not an English Suffix
<*tion> is not an English suffix. I repeat: <*tion> is not an English suffix. I previously wrote a post entitled The...InformationJanuary 17, 2020
- From Felines to Street Drugs to Zero Phones: <cat>, <methcathinone>, and <ephedron>
You never know where a word study will take you. A while back, my oldest and I did a word study...InformationDecember 20, 2019
- The -ion Suffix, Connecting Vowel <i>, and Phonological Markers
To begin, -*tion, -*sion, -*cion, and -*xion are not suffixes. Only -ion is a suffix. A suffix is a bound morpheme...InformationJuly 5, 2019