All posts tagged "orthography"
- Christmastime Is Here: The Etymology of Christmas
Christmastime is here. Or is Christmas time here? From where and when does the word Christmas come? And is Xmas a...InformationDecember 13, 2018
- The History of All Hallows’ Eve: The Etymology of ‘Halloween’
Halloween, Hallowe’en, All Hallows’ Eve — English speakers use many names for the holiday that occurs each year on October 31....InformationOctober 28, 2018
- Why Is ‘Love’ Not Spelled ‘Luv’?
Have you ever thought about the English language and considered the orthographic system downright wacky? Many words have a “silent e”...InformationAugust 30, 2018
- No Doubt the “Silent B” Owes a Subtle Debt to History
School children all over the English-speaking world bemoan the many “silent” letters of English spelling. The orthographic system of the English...InformationAugust 28, 2018
- Are You Wondering About the ‘R’ in February?
English spelling appears inconsistent at first. From silent letters to doubled letters, the orthography of English seems downright wacky to native...InformationAugust 27, 2018