All posts tagged "phonology"
- Why Are <talk>, <walk>, and <stalk> Spelled with <l>?
Yesterday I introduced my 5-year-old to the words <talk> and <walk>. He knows that graphemes can spell sounds, specifically that <l>...InformationFebruary 3, 2020
- Why Is <broad> Spelled with the <oa> Digraph?
Yesterday I posted on my social media about the spelling of the word <broad>. I just introduced the <oa> grapheme to...InformationJanuary 23, 2020
- Subfields of Linguistics Defined: Phonetics, Phonology, Morphology, Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics
Linguistics is defined as the scientific study of human language. However, because the study of language encompasses a large number of...InformationApril 27, 2013
- You Left Your Rs in the 1700s: Received Pronunciation Versus Extra-Insular Englishes
When the Royal Society unsuccessfully attempted to establish a formal language academy in England in 1664, lexicographers and grammarians from the...InformationNovember 29, 2011
- I Type How I Sound: E-Language and Phonetic Spelling
The English language changed dramatically with the introduction of the printing press into England in 1476 because of the development of...InformationNovember 14, 2011