Easter is right around the corner! This year is also my daughter’s first Easter. Although she cannot enjoy any of the yummy Easter treats yet, I can still make some delicious Easter cupcake recipes for her to look at. One of my favorite Easter crafts is to dye hardboiled eggs with Easter egg dye. However, in addition to the taste of eggs, every Easter basket needs some sweet treats inside. Cupcakes are the perfect dessert to make for this holiday because cupcakes are portable and easily shared. Plus, for little kids, Easter cupcakes are not only fun to make and decorate but can also be a fun treat that the Easter bunny leaves behind!
One of my most favorite fun Easter cupcake recipes to make is Easter Basket Cupcakes. These cupcakes look like Easter baskets filled with colored Easter eggs.
- 1 box of cake mix
- 1 container of white icing
- green food coloring
- shredded coconut
- pastel peanut M&Ms
- green apple Twizzlers
- Bake the cake mix into cupcakes following the directions on the box. Line the cupcake pan with pastel cupcake liners.
- After the cupcakes have cooled completely, dye the icing and the shredded coconut green using the green food coloring. To dye the coconut, place the coconut in a bowl. Add in a few drops of food coloring and stir until all of the coconut is dyed.
- Ice the cupcakes with the green frosting.
- Immediately spread the green coconut on top of the icing in a circle. Leave the center of the cupcake free from coconut.
- Next arrange some pastel peanut M&Ms on top of the cupcake in the center of the coconut ring.
- Finally use a piece of green apple Twizzler to form a basket handle on the top of the cupcake. Bend the Twizzler to form a U. Insert each end of the Twizzler into the top of the cupcake near the edge.
For additional Easter cupcake recipes, you can dye the icing and coconut different Easter colors such as light blue, pink, or pale yellow. If you prefer, you can also use other Easter candies such as large jelly beans or Cadbury cream eggs in place of the peanut M&Ms for the eggs in the Easter basket. You can also use Peeps or other fun Easter-themed candies in the Easter basket cupcakes instead of candy eggs. Enjoy making this and other Easter cupcake recipes. Happy Easter!
Originally published on Librarian Mom – My Reference Book on Parenting on April 2, 2012
Easter Basket Cupcakes: https://www.flickr.com/photos/probonobaker/2357267826/