I love baking cookies for all my favorite holidays. As Halloween approaches, I have been busy baking some spooky treats for my family and friends. Sugar cookie pumpkins are a festive treat for any fall holiday including Halloween and Thanksgiving.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Powdered sugar
- Orange food coloring (optional)
- Mix together the sugar and butter.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, and egg.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Cover the sugar cookie dough and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll the sugar cookie dough in a fourth-inch sheet on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough using pumpkin cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and some water to form an icing. Add orange food coloring.
- Ice the pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies.
- Store in an airtight container.
Sugar Cookie Pumpkins Recipe © 2013 Heather Johnson
Sugar Cookie Pumpkins © 2013 Heather Johnson