I love baking sugar cookies for each holiday of the year. I have quite the collection of cookie cutters, and I especially love my Halloween shapes. For the spooky holiday, I make pumpkins, bats, acorns, ghosts, and more, all decorated with sugar in Halloween colors like green, purple, orange, and black.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- orange food coloring
- colored sugar
- Mix together the sugar and butter.
- Add the vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, egg, and orange food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Cover the sugar cookie dough and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll the sugar cookie dough in a fourth-inch sheet on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough using Halloween cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with colored sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Store the sugar cookies in an airtight container.
Halloween Sugar Cookies Recipe © 2013 Heather Johnson
Halloween Sugar Cookies © 2013 Heather Johnson