I love pecans, and I love chocolate. My pecan pie is one of my absolute favorite pie recipes. Up until my first pregnancy, I was allergic to nuts. Once I discovered that my immune system had changed enough and I had outgrown my allergies, I began cooking with pecans galore! For Thanksgiving this year, I decided to modify my original pecan pie recipe into a chocolate pecan pie. If you love chocolate and pecans like me, you are sure to love my newest holiday recipe.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of cold water
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the vegetable oil.
- Mix until the crust particles are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in the water until all of the crust mixture is moistened and cleans the side of bowl.
- Gather the crust pastry into a ball. Do not overwork the dough.
- Flatten the crust pastry in the bottom of an ungreased 8-inch glass pie pan.
- Mold the pie crust around the edge of the pie pan.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup or maple syrup, and salt for the filling in a medium saucepan.
- Heat until boiling. Stir frequently.
- Add the pecans and vanilla to the brown sugar mixture.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pecan mixture from the heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs for the filling.
- Fold the eggs into the pecan mixture.
- Quickly fold the chocolate chips into the filling mixture.
- Immediately pour the warm filling into the hot pie crust.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Allow the chocolate pecan pie to cool.
- Serve the chocolate pecan pie warm or cold.
- Refrigerate any uneaten chocolate pecan pie.
Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe © 2018 Heather Johnson
Pie Crust for Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson
Pecans for Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson
Hot Filling for Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson
Chocolate Chips for Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson
Baking the Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson
Chocolate Pecan Pie © 2018 Heather Johnson