I love baking sugar cookies during the holiday season. I fondly recall baking cookies with my mom every December. Now my own kids and I bake dozens of sugar cookies in preparation for the holidays. My kids love sprinkling the colored sugar onto the unbaked cookies. My recipe makes about 16 dozen cookies, but you can divide the ingredients in half or fourth to make a smaller batch. The sugar cookies freeze well, so I like to make a bunch in November. To thaw the cookies, simply place a cookie on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for ten to twenty seconds. Or allow the frozen cookies to sit at room temperature until thawed. Merry Christmas and happy baking!
- 3 cups of white sugar
- 2 5/6 cups of butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 4 teaspoons of vanilla
- 8 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 2 tablespoons of baking powder
- colored sugar
- Cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla to the sugar and butter.
- Stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients. Combine until the dough cleans the side of the bowl.
- Cover the sugar cookie dough and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll the sugar cookie dough in a fourth-inch sheet on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough using holiday cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with colored sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Store the sugar cookies in an airtight container.
Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies Recipe © 2019 Heather Johnson
Butter and Sugar for Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Wet Ingredients for Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Dough for Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Cutting Out the Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Unbaked Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Baked Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson