I love baking cookies during the holiday season. Molasses crinkles are one of my favorite baked treats. This year I decided to also try a new ginger cookie recipe that I absolutely loved. Like all my other Christmas cookies, my chewy ginger cookies freeze well, so you can enjoy a couple here and there all holiday season.
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of white sugar, plus extra
- 1/4 cup of molasses
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Cream together the butter and white sugar until fluffy.
- Add the molasses and egg to the butter mixture.
- Combine the flour, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the extra sugar. (Use colored sugar for more festive cookies!)
- Place the sugared cookie dough balls about 3-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Immediately remove the baked cookies from the cookie sheet.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
Chewy Ginger Cookies Recipe © 2019 Heather Johnson
Butter and Sugar for Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Wet Ingredients for Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Dough for Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Dough Balls for Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Baked Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson
Chewy Ginger Cookies © 2019 Heather Johnson