Prepared hummus is one of those foods that is exponentially more expensive than making your own. Even the most expensive canned garbanzo beans cost only 20 cents per ounce with most costing around 10 cents or less. Starting with dried garbanzo beans, also known as chick peas, costs even less. Why waste another penny on overpriced hummus when you can make your own right at home? You can also add any other add-ins to my basic hummus to create your own flavors.
- 2 15 ounce cans of garbanzo beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Drain the liquid from the garbanzo beans.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth. Add extra water as necessary to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Serve room temperature or cold.
- Refrigerate any uneaten hummus.
Hummus © 2012 Heather Johnson