Last summer while learning about the Earth, Moon, and Sun during homeschool preschool, my daughter and I made a simple but effective model that illustrates that the Earth revolves around the Sun and the Moon revolves around the Earth.
- Paper plate
- Thick white paper
- Yellow, blue, green, and gray crayons or markers
- Hole punch
- Brass fasteners
- Cut a medium circle, a small circle, and two long strips from the thick white paper.
- Color the paper plate yellow.
- Color the medium circle green and blue.
- Color the small circle gray.
- Punch holes in the centers of each circle and on the ends of each long strip.
- Connect the paper plate to the medium circle and the medium circle to the small circle.
- Explain that the Earth (medium circle) revolves around the Sun (paper plate) and the Moon (small circle) revolves around the Earth.
For another fun space craft, try my S Is for Sun Handprint Craft.
Sun-Earth-Moon Model Craft © 2015 Heather Johnson
Sun-Earth-Moon Model © 2015 Heather Johnson