I love cooking with zucchini. The green vegetable is full of nutrients and fiber but low in fat and contains no added sugar. Because my daughter and I are growing some zucchini vines in our garden this year, I am already on the search for more fun ways in which to serve the healthy veggie. My most recent concoction is zucchini fritters, which my entire family loved!
- 1 small zucchini or zucchini squash
- 1 small white onion
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup of corn meal
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- Shred the zucchini.
- Chop the white onion and green onions into small pieces.
- Combine the vegetables in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the corn meal, salt, and eggs to the bowl.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Pour olive oil in the bottom of a large skillet.
- Heat the olive oil over low heat.
- Drop large spoonfuls of the fritter batter into the hot oil.
- Cook the zucchini fritters on both sides until lightly browned.
- Remove the lightly browned fritters from the skillet and place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Serve the warm zucchini fritters with plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
- Refrigerate any uneaten zucchini fritters.
Zucchini Fritters Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Green Onions, Zucchini Squash, and White Onion © 2016 Heather Johnson
Shredding the Zucchini Squash © 2016 Heather Johnson
Chopping the White Onion © 2016 Heather Johnson
Chopping the Green Onions © 2016 Heather Johnson
Shredded Zucchini Squash, Chopped White Onion, and Chopped Green Onion © 2016 Heather Johnson
Adding the Corn Meal and Salt to the Bowl © 2016 Heather Johnson
Adding the Eggs to the Bowl © 2016 Heather Johnson
Zucchini Fritters Batter © 2016 Heather Johnson
Adding the Zucchini Fritters Batter to the Hot Olive Oil © 2016 Heather Johnson
Flipping the Zucchini Fritters © 2016 Heather Johnson
Soaking Up Excess Oil from the Zucchini Fritters © 2016 Heather Johnson
Zucchini Fritters with Plain Greek Yogurt © 2016 Heather Johnson