I love baking cookies for the holidays. In addition to oodles of fancier cookies, I also love baking up some simpler recipes. One of my favorite and easiest recipes to make for Christmas is butter cookies. The pretty cookies taste lightly of butter and almond, making for a yummy little holiday treat.
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and almond extract to the butter mixture.
- Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients.
- Cover and chill the cookie dough for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll the butter cookie dough in a fourth-inch sheet on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough using holiday cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Decorate the cookies as desired.
- Store the butter cookies in an airtight container.
Butter Cookies Recipe © 2012 Heather Johnson
Butter Cookies © 2012 Heather Johnson
Butter in a Mixing Bowl © 2012 Heather Johnson
Creaming the Butter © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Egg, Sugar, and Almond Extract © 2012 Heather Johnson
Adding the Flour © 2012 Heather Johnson
Prepping the Rolling Surface © 2012 Heather Johnson
Rolling Out the Butter Cookies Dough © 2012 Heather Johnson
Unbaked Butter Cookies © 2012 Heather Johnson
Baked Butter Cookies © 2012 Heather Johnson