Peppermint is one of my favorite seasonal flavors. In fact, I drink candy cane coffee and peppermint tea all year long. Last year I shared my peppermint sugar cookies recipe. This year I create a new candy cane cookie recipe by modifying some similar recipes. The resulting festive holiday cookie both look and taste like candy canes — perfect for the Christmas season!
- 1/4 cup of softened butter
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 21 ounces of sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- red food coloring
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Add the butter, cream cheese, egg, and milk to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Combine the sugar cookie mix and whole wheat flour in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Separate the dough into two equal portions.
- Knead red food coloring into one half of the dough.
- Knead the peppermint extract into the other half of the dough.
- Roll the red and white dough into twisted ropes.
- Place the dough into a candy cane shape on an ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing from the baking sheet.
- Store the candy cane cookies in an airtight container.
Candy Cane Cookies Recipe © 2016 Heather Johnson
Ingredients for Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Wet Ingredients for Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Adding the Dry Ingredients for the Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Dough for Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Coloring and Flavoring the Dough for Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Unbaked Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Baked Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson
Candy Cane Cookies © 2016 Heather Johnson