I love batching dozens and dozens of Christmas cookies with my family for the holidays. One of my favorite cookies to bake is rolled sugar cookies that I decorate with colored sugar. This year in addition to the traditional sugar cookies, I also created a batch of peppermint sugar cookies. Instead of the vanilla and other spices, I added pure peppermint extract to the dough. I also colored the dough red to keep the peppermint cookies separate from the plain and to make the cookies a little more festive. My brand new peppermint sugar cookies rival the traditional and have quickly become one of my new favorite Christmas cookies.
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of butter
- 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract
- red food coloring (optional)
- 1 egg
- 2 1/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- colored sugar
- Cream together the sugar, butter, and egg in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the peppermint extract and optional red food coloring to the butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Cover the peppermint sugar cookie dough and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Roll the sugar cookie dough in a fourth-inch sheet on a floured surface.
- Cut the dough using holiday cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Decorate with colored sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Store the peppermint sugar cookies in an airtight container.
If you want to bake a double or triple batch of peppermint sugar cookies, simply place the cooled cookies in a container and freeze for easy storage. To thaw, simply place a frozen cookie on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for ten to twenty seconds. Merry Christmas and happy baking!
Peppermint Sugar Cookies Recipe © 2015 Heather Johnson
Ingredients for Peppermint Sugar Cookies © 2015 Heather Johnson
Adding Red Food Coloring to the Butter, Sugar, and Eggs © 2015 Heather Johnson
Adding Peppermint Extract to the Red Butter Mixture © 2015 Heather Johnson
Peppermint Sugar Cookie Dough © 2015 Heather Johnson
Ball of Peppermint Sugar Cookie Dough © 2015 Heather Johnson
Rolling Out the Peppermint Sugar Cookie Dough © 2015 Heather Johnson
Decorating the Peppermint Sugar Cookies © 2015 Heather Johnson
Tray of Peppermint Sugar Cookies © 2015 Heather Johnson
Peppermint Sugar Cookies © 2015 Heather Johnson