My daughter and I love doing projects together, especially crafts as part of our homeschool time. Last spring during a preschool lesson on the letter U, she and I constructed a super fun sea urchin from kitchen sponges.
- 5 non-scratch kitchen sponges
- Cut each sponge into three pieces lengthwise for a total of fifteen sponge strips.
- Lay down the strips in stacks of four (and one stack of three).
- Line up the stacks in a row.
- Lay the a piece of yarn on a flat surface.
- Set the row of stacked sponges on the yarn.
- Tie the yarn tightly around the sponges, cinching the centers of the sponges tightly.
- Fluff the sponges to form an urchin.
For another fun urchin craft, try my U Is for Urchin Handprint Craft.
U Is for Urchin Sponge Craft © 2015 Heather Johnson
Finished Sponge Urchin Craft © 2015 Heather Johnson