Baking cookies with my family during the holiday season is a tradition in my house. One of our favorite types of cookies is thumbprint cookies. This year I also made a variation on our classic thumbprint cookies: tangy lime cream cookies. The tangy lime filling pairs deliciously with the semi-sweet cookie.
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of grated lime peel
- 2 eggs
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- 2 cups of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Combine the sugar, lime juice, lime peel, egg, and food coloring for the filling in a medium saucepan.
- Cook the filling over medium-low heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Stir constantly.
- Remove the filling from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Combine the flour and salt in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place the cookie dough balls about 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Press a thumb or teaspoon firmly in the center of each ball to form in indent.
- Fill each indent with the lime filling.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the baked cookies.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool thoroughly.
- Store the tangy lime cream cookies in an airtight container.
Tangy Lime Cream Cookies Recipe © 2021 Heather Johnson
Ingredients for Filling for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Filling for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Wet Ingredients for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Dough for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Dough Balls for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Indenting the Dough Balls for Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Unbaked Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Baked Tangy Lime Cream Cookies © 2021 Heather Johnson
Tangy Lime Cream Cookies 1 © 2021 Heather Johnson
Tangy Lime Cream Cookies 2 © 2021 Heather Johnson