I do not like to spend all day in the kitchen on Thanksgiving. Therefore, I prefer to use some my favorite recipes that can be prepared a few days ahead of time so that I can get all my favorite holiday foods on the table. And, so, as holiday meal planning time approaches, I often include my baked macaroni and cheese in my Thanksgiving menu. Here is my favorite recipe.
- 2 cups of whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan and Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Thoroughly mix together the cottage cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, whole milk, grated Parmesan and Romano cheese, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the directions on the box. Do not overcook the pasta.
- Thoroughly drain the water from the cooked macaroni. Do not allow the pasta to cool.
- Place the cooked macaroni in the bottom of a glass baking dish.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the cooked macaroni.
- Bake the macaroni and cheese uncovered for thirty-five minutes or until slightly brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
- Store any uneaten macaroni and cheese in the refrigerator in a covered container.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe © 2011 James Johnson
Baked Macaroni and Cheese © 2011 James Johnson