- 1 cup of dry pearled barley
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans
- 1 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 15.25 ounce can of corn
- 1 tablespoon of dried cilantro
- Wash the barley.
- Combine the washed barley and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed into the barley.
- Combine the olive oil, onion powder, and minced garlic in a sauté pan.
- Heat until lightly browned.
- Rinse and drain the black beans. Drain the corn.
- Add the cooked barley, chicken broth, cayenne, salt, and pepper to the pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans, corn, and cilantro.
- Heat until hot.
- Serve hot.
- Refrigerate any uneaten black beans and barley.
Black Beans and Barley © 2013 Heather Johnson